Saturday, March 6, 2010

planting season

I am SO SO geeked to plant my garden this year!! I hope to share lots of pictures and recipes this summer with you all. I have a medium sized balcony that gets about half a days indirect sunlight. So, my planting options are limited to containers and the amount of sun, but that is not going to stop me, no siree! I am in the planning stages and getting ready to order seeds. Then I will figure out what pots, how many, what sizes I will need, then come up with a layout of sorts, did I mention I am excited!! I will have a DIY next month for a mini garden book that is super cute too :) So, here are the plants I am planning to purchase. Yes, I am growing all from seed this year, wish me luck!

All pictures are from Baker Creek Heirloom Seed Co. (unless otherwise noted) as that is where I am purchasing my seeds this year. In addition to the varieties shown here, I will be planting parsley, thyme, dill, chives, arugula, some variety of cherry tomato, and black seeded simpson lettuce. (I either already have these seeds from last year or Baker Creek is sold out so I will get them elsewhere).
European Mesclun Salad Mix
Grow this mix of greens for one of the tastiest salads ever! Flavors range from sweet-mild to sour-hot-tangy, and colors come in red, purple, yellow, and green. Colorful lettuce, radicchio, arugula, endive, orach, mizuna, kale, mustard, corn salad and more.

Toyko Long White Bunching Onion (no picture available)
An old favorite Japanese bunching type, looks like a long slender leek. Sweet and mild flavor, tasty.

Pepper Cress (no picture available)
Spicy, peppery taste, similar to water cress in flavor; ready for snacking in just 2 weeks; can be grown in a window sill; perfect in salads.

Gotte Jaune D'Or Lettuce
This 19th century heirloom is also called Golden Tennis Ball. It produces very small, light green, loose heads that are very tender and produce very early. Makes a great spring variety that is sure to delight your taste buds.

Early Scarlet Globe Radish (no picture available)
22 days. The classic, round red radish, crisp white flesh is mild and tasty. Has better warm weather tolerance than many.

Saxa 2 Radish
Popular European radish that matures in just 3 weeks; wow, they are quick! Bright red, smooth, round, perfect globes are crisp and delicious. Pretty and productive

Lime Green Salad Tomato (no picture available)
58-85 days, determinate-This tomato ripens yellow-green with tangy lime green flesh. The plants are compact and rugose. Beautiful 3 oz. fruit are perfect for spicy salsas or in fresh garden salads. An early variety; suitable for large containers. Developed by Tom Wagner in the 1980's.

Reverend Morrow's Long Keeper Tomato
(I am most excited about this one! Growing it in my Dad's garden though)
78 days A tall, determinate variety with 6-10 oz, globular fruit that ripens orange-red with pinkish flesh. The amazing thing about this tomato is its keeping qualities; these have kept until January!

Oregeno Vulgare (photo credit)
(Origanum vulgare) This is a beautiful and delicious Italian flavoring herb. Also medicinal. Great for Italian and Greek cooking.






No comments:

Post a Comment