Wednesday, January 9, 2013

what being 'everyday creative' means to me.

One of the things I wanted to focus on in relaunching my blog was really figuring out what being 'everyday creative' means to me and trying to implement that into my life this year and I embark on this journey called motherhood.

This may sound obvious, but stay with me.  I have found that being 'everyday creative' means two things:

--finding ways to infuse my everyday (busy, imperfect, unexpected, routine, fun, chaotic, full of love) life with creativity

--drawing inspiration to fuel that creativity from the going ons of my everyday life

Simple right?  But it's really more about the 'how' than the 'what'.

Here are some ways I go about these two things (while these work for me, they may not for you, so feel free to adopt whatever fits into your lifestyle):

--work in spurts. My desk is out in the open with an in-progress project always on it ready to go.
--online inspiration time.  I take 30-45 minutes to browse blogs, get ispired, and either sip coffee or sparkling water.
--reinventing and using things I see everyday in a newway, or translating it to a project I am working on
--sketches and lists. I make a LOT of them. I have many notebooks, sheets of paper, and clipboards to help me try and make sense of what goes on in my head.
--taking a mundane activity and trying to wring creativity out of it (this could be laundry, cooking, organzing, etc.)
--music, movies, and window shopping
--stream of conciousness projects, or creating without thinking.  This could be art journals, kids art, or doodling.
--remembering to love/use/be thankful for what you do have instead of wishing for things you don't.

I will be elaborating more on these thoughts throughout my other posts.

Any suggestions or thoughts on how to go about living 'everyday creative'?

No comments:

Post a Comment