SO YUMMY! I made this for dinner last night and couldn't resist sharing the recipe!! And I got the squash from the farmer's market to boot :)
2 small acorn squashes
1lb. turkey sausage
1-2 cups cooked brown rice
1 apple, chopped
1/2 large onion (or a whole small one) chopped
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup chicken, turkey, or veggie broth
2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp fresh chopped parsley
2 tbsp bread crumbs
1. preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cut squash in half and scoop "guts" out. Place flesh side down in glass baking dish with a little water and cover loosely with foil.
2. Loosely cover squash with foil and bake for 35 min.
3. While squash is baking brown sausage on medium to med-high heat. When the sausage is almost done, add the apple and onion. Cook for about 5 more min.
4. Turn heat to low and add rice, cranberries, spices, and broth to the pan. Keep on low stirring occasionally til squash is done.
5. When squash is done remove from oven (leave the oven on though) and let cool enough to handle them. Then scoop out most of squash adding it to stuffing mixture. Leave enough to have about a 1/2" shell still attached to skin.
6. Mix squash and stuffing together and stuff each shell with mixture and place back in baking dish, stuffing side up.
7. Mix topping together using two knives to cut (Cut In: To mix solid fat with dry ingredients using fingers, pastry blender or two knives.) the butter into the crumbs, and parsley.
8. Put a small amount of topping on each stuffed shell and bake for 10-15 more min until bread crumbs are brown.